Developing independent living skills is a key aspect of our work. We aim to prepare young people to live independently after they have left Owlswick regardless of their level of ability. The care team support young people to develop skills in the following areas:
- All aspects of daily living such as cooking, cleaning, washing clothes, personal hygiene
- Money management and budgeting
- Independent Travel
- Health and wellbeing including mental and sexual health
- Accessing community resources such as libraries, citizen advice, advice agencies, shops and social activities
- Accessing suitable move on accommodation with ongoing support as required
We have developed a self-contained flat, which is the independent living space for our older young people, aged 15 plus. This residential area enables individuals to embrace the challenges which young adults experience when developing independence, whilst still receiving ongoing life-skills support from our care team.